S. Pedro do Sul, at the heart of Lafões valley is surrounded by Arada and S. Macário Mountains – both of them integrated in Gralheira Mountain range. Luxuriant green landscapes crossed by crystal-clear river streams with hidden villages in the valleys. Located at an idyllic place, 14 km away from S. Pedro do Sul and
Aveiro Cathedral is located at the old Dominican convent which is known because it was the first religious community to be established in the city.
A noble family from Aveiro ordered the convent of the Carmo nuns to be built during the 16th century.
Carmo Convent, created in 1613 by the Barefoot Carmelites Friars, was known mainly because of its educational function when the College of Philosophy was installed in it.
The Castle of Almourol is regarded as Portugal’s most beautiful castle! Situated on a small cliffy island in the middle of the Tagus River, Almourol Castle is one of the most significant military Medieval monuments, which best evokes the memory of the Knights Templar in Portugal.
Coming up from the city, visitors enter Leiria Castle through the Albacara Gateway. Inside this defensive bastion, there are various historical points of interest that have been well preserved. They include the Church of Nossa Senhora da Pena, the former Royal Palaces and the Keep in addition to wonderful views out over the surrounding countryside.
When you get to the Cathedral Churchyard, you will see one of the most beautiful squares in Portugal.
The Church of S. Miguel, which is the beautiful Cathedral of Castelo Branco, probably dates back to the 13th or 14th century.
Built in 1559, the Cathedral of Leiria is a beautiful sober Mannerist building, as well as one of Portugal’s finest example of hall churches (Hallenkirchen), along with the Monastery of Alcobaça and Jeronimus Monastery in Lisbon.
The Centre of Contemporary Culture recently opened its doors to the public, presenting a major art exhibition of Latin-American art that belongs to the prestigious Berardo collection.
18th century church Igreja do Carmo is situated in the bottom of Rua de D. Francisco Alexandre Lobo.
This is one of the most beautiful churches in Portugal! The Church of Santa Maria, located at the heart of the historical centre of Covilhã, is covered in blue and white tiles depicting the life of the Virgin Mary.