The Sala Grande dos Actos is the most important room of the University of Coimbra. It is also known as Sala dos Capelos. When visiting the Sala dos Capelos, you may also visit the Private Examination Room and the Arms Room.
The Private Examination Room was an integrating part of the royal wing of the palace. It was a royal chamber, that is, the place where the monarch stayed overnight. This was also the first room where the first “meeting” was held between the vice-rector D. Garcia de Almeida and the University professors on the 13th October 1537, which is the date of the final transfer of this institution to Coimbra.
The Arms Room was part of the royal wing of the old palace. It accommodates a full array of arms (halberds) of the Academic Royal Guard, which are still used today by the Halberdiers (guards) in the formal academic ceremonies (solemn “honoris causa” doctorates, the rector’s investiture, formal beginning of the classes).
Everyday | Starting on August 1st until September 30th 2020
• Joanine Library: 09:40 – 13:00 and 14:00 – 17:00 (last entrance at 16:40);
• Chapel: 10:00 – 18:00 (no lunch break);
• Royal Palace: 10:00 – 18:00 (no lunch break);
• Shop – Law Faculty: 10:00 – 13:00 e 14:00 – 17:45;
• Ticket office: 09:30 – 17:45 (no lunch break);
• New Shop: 09:30 – 17:45 (no lunch break);
• Da Vinci Exhibition: 10:00 – 18:00 (no lunch break);
• Science Museum (Laboratório Chimico and Colégio de Jesus) – 10:00 – 13:00 and 14:00 – 18:00.