The Chapel of the University of Coimbra – St. Michael’s Chapel – dates back to the 16th century, probably built upon an ancient chapel of the 12th century. It was built in Manueline style. The building that exists today is the result of works directed by Marcos Pires and finished by Diogo de Castilho. The Chapel underwent small renovations in the 17th and 18th centuries.The royal chapel dedicated to St. Michael was also the headquarters of the Brotherhood of Professors and Students under the invocation of Our Lady of Light. Its architectural structure is Manueline, a decorative style mainly visible in the huge windows of the aisle and transept.
When the University acquired the Palace it also acquired the Chapel, maintaining its royal privilege. The tile flooring of the main chapel dates from 1613, and the aisle is covered with “carpet” like tiles that were manufactured in Lisbon. The painting of the ceiling was made by Francisco F. de Araújo by the end of the 17th century. Later it was renovated and the coat of arms was modernized.
The Baroque organ is decorated with Chinese motifs similar to those present in the Baroque Library shelves. This organ dates from 1737 and has about 2,000 pipes. Its acquisition was sponsored by King John V. The organ is still operational.
Everyday | Starting on August 1st until September 30th 2020
• Joanine Library: 09:40 - 13:00 and 14:00 - 17:00 (last entrance at 16:40);
• Chapel: 10:00 - 18:00 (no lunch break);
• Royal Palace: 10:00 - 18:00 (no lunch break);
• Shop - Law Faculty: 10:00 - 13:00 e 14:00 - 17:45;
• Ticket office: 09:30 - 17:45 (no lunch break);
• New Shop: 09:30 - 17:45 (no lunch break);
• Da Vinci Exhibition: 10:00 - 18:00 (no lunch break);
• Science Museum (Laboratório Chimico and Colégio de Jesus) - 10:00 - 13:00 and 14:00 - 18:00.