Also known as the Chapel of Our Lady of Penha de França, Vista Alegre Chapel is a pivotal place within the Vista Alegre complex. Built in the late 17th century by the Bishop D. Manuel de Moura Manuel to fulfil a promisse, this is nowadays the epicentre of a beautiful popular feast held in July in honour of Our Lady of Penha de França, the patron saint of Vista Alegre and the Factory.
This is an imposing building with breath-taking architecture, which in the main façade, depicts a rich stone-carved image of the Nossa Senhora da Penha de França, patroness of Vista Alegre. Inside the chapel, stand out the 17th century tiles of Gabriel del Barco, the marble altarpieces, the gilded woodcarvings, and the domes decorated with beautiful frescos.
Vista Alegre Chapel houses houses one of the most luxurious tombs in the region: the mausoleum of Manuel de Moura Manuel, bishop of Miranda and rector of the University of Coimbra, a magnificent work in stone from Ançã, by the artist Claude Laprade, which is one of the greatest points of interest of this building. In 1816, José Ferreira Pinto Basto, founder of Vista Alegre Factory bought the chapel that was classified National Monument in 1910. Deeply refurbished in 2015, the chapel won back all its exuberant beauty.
Visiting the Vista Alegre ChapelMay to September: 10:30 - 12:00 and from 14:00 - 18:30 October to April: 10:30 - 12:00 and from 14:00 - 18:00 By appointment and ticket purchase at the museum reception.